Tuesday, November 29, 2016

TWO WAYS TO MAKE CHRISTMAS GARLAND WITH DOLLAR TREE ITEMS

Hello, everyone!
I am just barely starting to decorate our home for Christmas, so I don't have any holiday decor to show yet, but I thought it would be fun to go back and share with you how I made very economical Christmas garland a couple of years ago for our stairwell and front door and how did I changed the look of it the year after also using 
Dollar Tree supplies.



I always wanted to have garland on the banister for the holidays, but as you all know, our stairwell is pretty huge and it would of cost me a pretty penny to buy them already made. 

I shopped around in several stores, but the final outcome was the same, I needed to spend a few hundred dollars to be able to make enough garland for all the railings.

And then, during a shopping trip to the Dollar trip, I found such cute ornaments and ribbon so I decided to buy them and give it a try. I already had a box full of poinsettias.
 I bought the greenery at Hobby Lobby 50% off.

 


A bunch of pretty picks, ornaments and ribbons from Dollar Tree.

And got busy making lots and lots of feet of garland :)


As you can see, I had to lay it all down on the floor to be able to add and glue all the decorations.
I did this on and off for over a week.



And when all the pieces were finished, I made bows using the same ribbon.
I am not going to lie, it was a lot of work and many hours on my knees trying to make them look right with what I had, but I think they looked cute when I was finished.
The best part is that I was able to do the complete stairwell and front entrance for about $40.00

And once they were up, my husband asked me where I was going to plug them in. 
Yikes!!! I forgot to add the lights!
Once again, I purchased them at Dollar Tree and for $5.00 more, I was able to add lights to the whole stairwell.


And even had enough to decorate the front entrance of our home.
Not bad for about $45.00.
What do you think?
Now, the next year, I completely changed the color scheme of our holiday decor so I went back to Dollar Tree and for about $12.00 I found all the supplies I needed to make the changes. I used the same greenery.
Even the white stockings came from Dollar Tree.





  
And this time around, I didn't forget to add the lights. Ha!



I am still working on my decor for this year, so far I have made fifteen pillow covers and two runners and I am already tired. LOL  Getting there slowly!
I hope this post gives you a little inspiration to make your own Christmas garland.

Enjoy the rest of your week!


11 comments:

  1. It's all so beautiful, Maria! And the lights make all the difference. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning and your staircase and railings are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria! Oh, I totally agree with Marty! Your staircase an railings are so beautiful! Thanks for showing us how you o this but I don't think I could make a garland as pretty as you do! Hope your Thanksgiving was great!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific cost-effective way to decorate a long staircase! No doubt, it took a lot of time and effort but so worth it with results like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I remember this fabulous garland from last year and your new rendition looks just as spectacular! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both versions! You really did well at the dollar store! I, also bought a LOT of my tree ornaments at Dollar stores and K Mart. I wish I could sew, I LOVE pillows and would like to just have pillow COVERS that store easier! Happy decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing, Maria! I can see the work you put in it and yes, I never would have thought anything came from the Dollar Tree, especially those white stockings! Good for you. My, you have quite a huge staircase. I can imagine getting a good workout in a day climbing those. Still, gorgeous!!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always amazed at your garlands and the update this year it beautiful! I'm headed to DT to update a wreath for my front door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I'm very impressed with your garland making skills! They look so professional. I love how you were able to make these on a budget. They look very expensive. I often forget to go to The Dollar Store. I like how your garland inside matches what you used outside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your home is looking amazing...

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...