Thursday, November 14, 2013

DOLLAR TREE CHRISTMAS GARLAND


Hello, everyone!

Today I am sharing how I made Christmas garland a couple of years ago for our stairwell and front door.

I always wanted to have garland on the banister for the holidays, but as you all know, our stairwell is pretty huge and it would of cost me a pretty penny to buy them already made.



I shopped around in several stores, but the final outcome was the same, I needed to spend a few hundred dollars to be able to make enough garland for all the railings.

And then, during a shopping trip to the Dollar trip, I found such cute ornaments and ribbon that I decided to buy them and give it a try. I already had a box full of poinsettias.




I bought the greenery at Hobby Lobby 50% off.




A bunch of pretty picks, ornaments and ribbons from Dollar Tree.


And got busy making lots and lots of feet of garland :)






As you can see, I had to lay it all down on the floor to be able to add and glue all the decorations.
I did this on and off for over a week.







And when all the pieces were finished, I made bows using the same ribbon.




I am not going to lie, it was a lot of work and many hours on my knees trying to make them look right with what I had, but I think they looked cute when I was finished.
The best part is that I was able to do the complete stairwell and front entrance for about $40.00









And once they were up, my husband asked where I was going to plug them in. 
Yikes!!! I forgot to add the lights!
Once again, I purchased them at Dollar Tree and for $5.00 more, I was able to add lights to the whole stairwell.





Not bad for about $45.00.
What do you think?
I hope this post gives you a little inspiration to make your own Christmas garland.

I will be back tomorrow with the top viewed posts of this week Tuesdays at Our Home.
Until then!



Sharing with:

Debbiedoo's



34 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Thank you for the inspiration! Beautiful! I love the dollar stores for how affordable they make things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have been busy! It looks absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's beautiful! We have all that railing too in this house and last year I just didn't even try to do it. You are encouraging me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice and frugal too! If you hadn't said that you Dollar Tree shopped I would have never known! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bannister and the front door look amazing, Maria Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria Elena, not only am I inspired, but I am totally amazed! You have a gift and you just proved that you do not have to spend a lot of dough to get a high end look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That doesn't look like anything from Dollar Tree! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea!! All of Christmas decorating can get so expensive!! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The garlands and the price are both incredible--you did a great job! Our stairway is enclosed, so there are no railings to decorate. Safe for my kiddos but a bummer for decorating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a job Ma. Elena, it paid off, it looks fabulous, I totally love it!!! I also love your entrance, very festive. You are certainly decking away! I'm trying, not to excited this year, but for no reason...maybe I'm getting old, lol!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garland wrapped entry and stairs are breathtaking, Maria!! You are a Dollar Tree wizard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The banister looks wonderful! I can't believe you made something that gorgeous for only $45!! Amazing! Your front porch is perfection too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maria! Oh, this is beautiful! You did a wonderful job on it and it looks like it cost a fortune! :) You're the best.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful...I used to work there and some of their Christmas stuff was really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks absolutely stunning! I still have to figure out how to create a great looking garland like yours!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Certainly worth the effort. Garland looks terrific! You must be very proud of yourself, I know I would be

    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks fantastic! This is one of my favorite things to do, take a plain garland and keep adding to it until you have a masterpiece! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know it was a lot of work....but it is all sooo pretty. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Who would ever know you made the garland from dollar store items...and lights, too. I'm headed to the dollar store tomorrow. :) Thanks for the tip,and again your garland is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So gorgeous!! Thanks for showing us how you did it. I'm going to give one a try....hope it looks HALF as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. $45? That's so awesome. I wanted to invest in getting a garland this year (and was thinking about one I saw at Costco) but you're right in that they can be very expensive. Love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. On of my favorite places to shop and you did an amazing job of putting it all together. Absolutely stunning. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have inspired me! I'm off to the Dollar Store to see what goodies I can find for my bare strand of garland.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty and festive! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is really beautiful and you did a great job! Thanks for sharing your thrifty garland at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very pretty! I especially like the glitzy fruit. Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  27. But oh so gorgeous and worth your broken up knees my friend. How pretty! I am so happy to see you joined our Dollar tree party, thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Its beautiful and your dedication and hard work created a beautiful holiday stairway! Hopping over from Shannon and Debbie's party. Hugs P.S. I hope you will share this at my Thursday hop ( its still open)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful stairway and what a lot of work to make it beautiful! It was definitely worth the effort though!
    Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! I love how pretty your garland turned out. It might have been a lot of work but so worth it. I'm pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely fantastic! Garland can get so expensive, you really made the most of what you had--you were very artistic and arranged all of the elements so well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is amazing!!! How on earth did you do it?!?!? I wish I had that kind of talent (and patience)!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks gorgeous. You did a fantastic job on the garland.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...